Notice: load_plugin_textdomain was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 2.7 with no alternative available. in /home/fourcubs/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3553

Notice: get_bloginfo was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 2.2! The siteurl option is deprecated for the family of bloginfo() functions. Use the url option instead. in /home/fourcubs/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3551

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/fourcubs/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php:3553) in /home/fourcubs/public_html/wp-content/themes/smallbiz/functions.php on line 141
History | History |

Gary and Cris Peterson have been dairying together at Four Cubs Farm since 1973. Gary farmed by himself for eight years before that.

Four Cubs Farm has been in Gary’s family since 1877, when it was homesteaded by his great-grandmother. The existing barn and house were built in 1895 by his great-grandfather, B.J. Peterson, with lumber cut from the surrounding land. Over the years, the barn and the house have been added to and changed.

Like many dairies across Wisconsin, Four Cubs Farm has changed and grown over the years. In 1998 Petersons decided to expand their operation from 45 cows housed in a 100-year old tie-stall barn to 200 cows housed in a 6-row free stall barn. They built a double-10 parabone parlor in the old barn, hired their first-ever employees and jumped in.

Two years later, in 2000, they expanded to 400 cows milking. In 2005 they expanded from 400 to 525 with the addition of a 56 cow dry cow barn.

The next major expansion, in 2007, included a new manure lagoon, a solid separation system, flush flumes and a sand settling tank. Another 210 stall free-stall barn was added to bring the milking herd up to 620.

A 50’x80’ shop was then added to accommodate repair on larger equipment.

In 2009 to start recycling the sand bedding, a sand separator and hydro-cyclone were installed to streamline animal bedding operations.

In 2011 another 220 stall free-stall barn was added bringing the free-stall barn to 704 feet long. This included two sand storage bays. The decision was also made to install a new double-16 parlor in another section of the original barn. This parlor has the ability to collect daily milk weights as well as several other kinds of data for managing the herd. The barns were modified to keep cows under shelter when walking to and from the parlor.

The facility where the heifers are raised was purchased in 2012 after several years of renting.